THE CRAB RACE
A jar of marked crabs is dumped in the centre of a circle of radius 1.6 metres at time t = 0 seconds. The graph shows how five of the crabs fared in the race for the edge of the circle.
- Which crabs started immediately?
- Which crab got going last?
- Which crab won?
- Which two crabs ran at equal speeds?
- Which crab was the fastest?
- The rule for crab D is d = 0.05t . How long will it take to reach the edge of the circle if it maintains its speed?
- Find rules for other crabs.
- Use crab’s E rule to find the time, after the start, it would take to reach the edge of the circle.
- Enter your rules on your CAS calculator. Set the window and sketch the graphs to check that your rules are correct.